Visegrád is one of the smallest towns of Hungary, located 43 km north of Budapest. It lies on the right bank of the Danube river, embraced by forest-clad hills. Today the whole area is part of the Danube-Ipoly Natural Park.
The development of the town of Visegrad has been influenced by the continuous interference of the natural environment and human history. Due to its great location and strategic role, Visegrád has always been a popular residential area. The oldest settlement marks are from the end of the New Stone Age, Early Copper Age. Later, many rural ethnic groups like the Celts, Teutons, Romans, Avars, and Hungarians lived in the Danube bend.
The first document mentioning the name Visegrád dates back to 1009. In the XIV-XV centuries, the town was the seat of Hungarian Kingdom and remained a royal residence until the XVI century. In 1544, the city's fate was sealed, when the Turks permanently layed hands on the castle. After the Turks, Visegrad was in ruins. The rains washed away soil on the steep hillside and so completely buried the remains.
The rediscovery of the settlement took place in the nineteenth century, when it became a popular destination for excursions and steam boating on the Danube. Slovakian-born priest Joseph Viktorin encouraged the exploration of the ruins and restoring of the monuments. Since the XIX century, Visegrád has become one of the most popular tourist sites of Hungary, thanks to its monuments and scenic location and the recreational facilities offered.
Highlights and Key facts
Rural Heritage Hub
The Rural Heritage Hub will located in the Visegrád town Hall, Palace and Hotels respectively. The rich historical monuments, the spectacular view, the leisure activities will all underline the choice of the place.